Party Wall Agreements: When and Why Do You Need One?

corten clad kitchen extension to terrace along party wall
(Image credit: Simon Maxwell)

A Party Wall Agreement is a must-have for anyone starting a project that affects an adjoining property. 

In recent years the planning rules for extensions have been significantly relaxed but even homes that are extended under Permitted Development rights will still potentially need a Party Wall Agreement.

Claire Lloyd

Claire is Editor in Chief of Homebuilding & Renovating website and magazine. She became Editor of Homebuilding & Renovating in 2016 and has been a member of the team for 15 years. An experienced homes journalist, her work has also appeared in titles such as Real Homes and Period Living.

She has a particular interest in green homes and sustainability, and interior design is a passion too; she has undertaken qualifications in this area. 

After finishing a major renovation of a period cottage, she is now onto her next project: overhauling a 1930s property in the Shropshire countryside.