Party Wall Act: What Is It?

Party Wall Act Explained - Builder and Extensions
(Image credit: Getty Images)

The Party Wall Act is a must read if you are about to embark on building work in a semi-detached house, flat or terraced property. 

If you live in any of these, it’s likely you share a wall with a neighbouring building and will need an agreement regarding the Party Wall before you start work. And we are not just talking about big builds, it’s worth checking up if you need this for loft conversions, basements and extensions.

Claire Lloyd

Claire is Editor in Chief of Homebuilding & Renovating website and magazine. She became Editor of Homebuilding & Renovating in 2016 and has been a member of the team for 15 years. An experienced homes journalist, her work has also appeared in titles such as Real Homes and Period Living.

She has a particular interest in green homes and sustainability, and interior design is a passion too; she has undertaken qualifications in this area. 

After finishing a major renovation of a period cottage, she is now onto her next project: overhauling a 1930s property in the Shropshire countryside.