Putting the roof back on! For more detailed pics visit buildmybungalow.blogspot.co.uk

Construction of the dormer viewed from the rear of the house

Finally some of the structure is going back on and we can see some real progress. The above pic is the rear dormer but it gives you an idea of how big the master bedroom will be. The opening in the middle is for the french doors and side panels. It’s 2400mm by 1975mm. There will be a Juliet balcony in front of the doors.

Construction of the dormer viewed from the front of the house

This is a view from the front of the property. There will be a large flat roof in the middle. A 1200mm by 600mm fixed roof dome window will be placed here . This will hopefully brighten up the front of the lounge as well as the stairwell.

Annoyingly my council’s building control insist on triple glazed windows for the flat roof windows which bumped the cost up.

Slight change of plans. I have decided to put two Velux windows in the bathroom

Loft going up, downstairs wall coming down!
So its been nearly a month since I’ve last updated my blog. I have been really busy with having to buy all the stuff to in the place which means hours most evenings choosing bits. Planning permission has been granted for the downstairs extension exactly the way I wanted it! Huge relief.

The upstairs has been coming along nicely and french doors and side panels have gone in. I went with aluminium instead of PVC, the aluminium frame was slimmer and the hingers are smaller rather than the big bulky ones I saw on PVC ones. It’s a lot nicer on the eyes and I am pleased with the result.

There has been a change of plan- the walk in wardrobe is now just a small storage space accessible from the bathroom. Unfortunately we just didn’t have enough roof height to use it comfortably.

The good news is the bedroom and and the bathroom are of a very good size. The below image shows you the bathroom on the left , the door to the bathroom would be direct in front so would be a L shape.
We have started the downstairs extension. The foundations are being dug. We are using pad foundations along the rear and side.

Being in London there ground has a lot of clay and we’re having to down 1.9 meters. The photo above is only 1 meter down so there’s a fair bit to go.

I have decided to go with private building control for the downstairs and am using the the council for the upstairs. The reason being is purely to save time. I want to move in by the end of July, planning permission was granted on the 4th of May and I wanted to get started almost straight away. If I had gone with the council I would have had to wait potentially 6-8 weeks for them to approve the building control drawings where as Private building control was a lot quicker.

Finally the downstairs walls have been removed. The walls that previously divided the bathroom and kitchen from the lounge have all been removed as well as the airing cupboard and dividing wall for the small porch. The new space created will be the half of the lounge.

More pics at buildmybungalow.blogspot.co.uk

  • Post a comment
    You must be logged in to comment. Log in