Apologies for the gap in posting and to whoever left the comment, I will be posting photographs just as soon as I can edit it down from the 327 I have taken so far. Anyway, enough waffling. here’s what happened next….

Week seven

There would be no building work this week so Monday began with the gas fitter back on site to attempt the boiler move again. Unfortunately, the boiler had been supplied with the wrong flue. Perhaps it would have been helpful to know this the week before, since the box was sitting there but…..apparently not. So a new list of parts required was left and off he went again. Still no boiler fitted. I was annoyed at this but what can you do ? Hire someone else at three times the price ? Luckily I had built in a long lead-in time for this job to be done, so we still had time before it became a real problem. With no one else on site this week, Danny phoned to say the roughcaster would be on site the following Wednesday, weather permitting and to ask if the doors and window frames would be in by then. “Yes, no problem,” said I, looking at the pile of timber still to be assembled into window frames. The phrase “pushing water uphill”, sprang to mind but I did my best to sound positive.

Tuesday and I had a day off work. A day off from my day job, that is. The day was instead spent climbing up scaffolding to paint the soffits. After eight/nine hours at height, painting tends to lose its charm but it had to be done. There was more than one wobbly moment, (as my cousin likes to call them, “sphincter tighteners”) but by the end of the day I was as agile as a mountain goat, (at least I think that’s what my fiancée called me…) , although I still don’t know how roofers do it all day every day. That evening, there was no rest either, most of it spent in front of the computer, checking the schedule and ordering the shower cabin of all things. What can I say….lead-in times….

Wednesday evening and I continued with the window frames, plugging and sanding screw holes and priming finished frames.

Thursday evening was more of the same, plugging, sanding and painting.

Friday morning and Paul was back on site to finish the first fix electrics to the first floor. He had a look at the frames made so far and said he was impressed. Paul had been a cabinet maker before going back to being a sparky, (less stressful he said), so I valued his opinion. By the time I returned from work that evening, the first fix electrics were done. Still, there was no time to hang around and after inhaling a tuna sandwich, my cousin John arrived and we got down to work finishing the triangular apex window frames, finally finishing at 11.00pm.

The weekend was very hard work. John and I had two days to customise and fit all the door and window frames, to be ready in time for the roughcaster arriving on site on Monday. It was stressful, there were numerous “moments” at height, (my cousin doesn’t have vertigo but he is “less keen” on heights than me) and it was hot. Very hot. However, by 10.45pm on Sunday night, the job was done. We sat/collapsed on the floor and looked up at the summer stars which were just starting to appear. The view from the finished building was going to be picturesque. The first of quite a few Kopparbergs to be drunk that night, were opened and we congratulated ourselves on a job well done.

  • Post a comment
    You must be logged in to comment. Log in