We’ve been lucky with the weather. Bar a few (huge) downpours the roof went on without too many problems. I’ve been staggered by the number of nails that went into the roof (calculation is one thing, but seeing is believing)… We used normal breather membrane on the roof, but TLX Gold on the dormer cheeks, given the space constrictions and not wanting to ‘fatten’ the cheeks too much.

roof removal and repair on 1910 bungalow renovation

We’ve also completed all the internal structural reorganization. I’ve got a great working relationship with my structural engineer, and having worked with him in the past he knows I’ll challenge him to make the installation as easy as possible and not compromise the integrity. I used the Zinga paint, which went on easily, so I’m confident the steel will remain in great shape for a very long time!

The windows are on order. We took the plunge and went for Weru windows since they were recommended by a neighbour and they are no ordinary uPVC windows — think all things German and that’s what they are. Kate and Graham from Weru in Blackpool have been fantastic to deal with on all fronts, and I’m very excited to see the windows go in (all 30 odd of them!). The Weru guarantee means that their installers need to install the windows, which gave me a lot of confidence as I knew that if there is ever a problem, it can’t be blamed on a third party installer…

beach and coast view from Anglesey chalet bungalow renovation

The 30+ windows we will be installing will make the most of the beautiful views

view over the bay from renovated 1910 bungalow

We’ve also used SIKA render internally on walls where damp was coming through. Sad to say it, but I like watching as the plaster dries (not second by second). The staining (or lack of) always gives an indication of where any damp might be.

Buying Tips and Top Investments

One of the things I’ve found really helpful about our local builders merchant (Huws Gray) is that they take back any excess materials. This is such a help as otherwise the odd board or left over half pallet of blocks just clogs up the site. Simple but extremely helpful.

Chasing of the walls for the electrics has started, and this has taken quite a bit longer than I thought — the bricks are unbelievably hard. I invested in a new 15kg Bosch breaker/demolition hammer and this has been worth every penny. It’s light enough not to kill your muscles, but seemingly packs a bigger punch than the weight would suggest. I’ve also invested in a Festool cordless drywall gun, since there’s so much plasterboarding to be done. I’m excited to see this in action.

lifting the structural steel beams in to place

Waste Disposal

We’ve so far generated about 100 tonnes of hardcore and about 10 mixed waste skips. I did a ‘bulk buy’ upfront with the local skip company, so managed to get reasonably good terms on the disposal. I’m always amazed at the volume of waste….

Next up: first fix plumbing, electrics and carpentry

  • Post a comment
    You must be logged in to comment. Log in