We are having a single storey extension to the rear of our home, as part of this we are creating 2 large openings in the existing building which we know will require steels as there is another flat above us and the external brick walls are the load bearing fabric of the house.
We’d assumed for this that a structural engineer would be providing calculations but our architect noticed that they hadn’t. Instead they’d been provided by an experienced building consultant using “superbeam” software. We aren’t doubting the guy’s ability, expect the calculations are rather simple for our job and we know that building control will check the calculations but we wondered if there is any other potential downside to not using a structural engineer. Our assumption we’d need one wasn’t based on any knowledge so wanted to check!

  • Post a comment
    You must be logged in to comment. Log in