I have two questions :

I am planning on buidling a large home extension this summer that will fall into Permitted Development Rights. It is for a detached house and the extension will be approx 8m x 5m x 3.5m. I have created the design and drew up the plans myself and these are ready to be sent off to the council for inspection. However, On the Permitted Development form it is asking me for my agents name and address.

So my first question – As I have designed the extension myself can I add myself as the agent name and address?

My second question. As I do not want to pay architect fees to design the extension as I have done this myself I am hoping that someone knows of a profession who would take my drawings and make sure they;

– Adhere to all building regulation
– Have engineering calculations added (if needed)
– Have enough detail on them for a builders to price up the build
– Have enough detail in them for tradesmen to reference during to build

Thank in advance


  • Paul Claxton

    Hi Dean,

    To answer question 1, assuming this extension is for your own house, you do not need to fill in the agent part as you are the applicant. If the extension is on someone else’s house you can act as the agent and the house owner is the applicant.

    An architectural technician/technologist can do part 2 for you. Some may not like working from your drawings though (depending on your competence) and would need to redraw them on their own CAD software. To be honest its more economical and easier to get an architectural technologist/technician in from the start to do the planning drawing and then adding the building regulation details on to their own drawings when needed.

    Hope this helps,


  • Peter Eade

    I’m sure any architectural designer can produce the plans you require, I’m often being asked to do this. As you say even with PD you will require Building Regulation drawings. Your builders can only price off of the BR plans once you have approval. In no circumstances get in quotes from builders until you have the approved plans. You will also need the BR drawing to ‘take off’ your material requirements. Regarding the Agents part of the BR application form, ignore this if you are not using an agent although the guy who draws your BR plans should be happy to act as your agent.

  • Dean Mckeown

    great answers. Thank you. The extension is part of my own home so I will leave this blank as advised. As for the drawings themselves I think it seems a sensible route to employ an architectural technician.

    Does anyone have a rough estimate of what each one of these would cost (Architectural drawings and Building Regulation Drawings). I understand that is a very open ended question as prices vary depending on complexity and size etc. The extension is 40m2 brick, rectangle, solid floor with a 22 degrees pitch roof ( pretty basic I would have thought).

    In the meantime, I presume I could send my basic plans off to the council to have them agree the development is viable for Permitted Development even before having professional drawing drawn up as all they really need to know is the size, position and basic materials?


  • Peter Eade

    What ever you do, check with the planners first, you may need a pre-application meeting with them which these days is not free. I would suggest you ring them first, the planning customer services people will explain the way forward.

  • Jack Mcnaney

    Common phobia of many domestic Clients….. All Architects are expensive and ‘I can do some of it myself’. I found it all quite easy (apart from the 7 year’s study living like a pauper and then having to start on the bottom rung at 30). Mr Snell does nothing to help the cause. This poster is typical of Clients. Clearly some building knowledge is required.

    While I’m at it, does anyone know of how to treat my teeth but avoid dentists and their fees?

  • Steve Carter

    Jack, two other things that don’t help, apart from Mr Snell, are
    1) My first experience with an “architect” who put french doors into the wall behind the kitchen sink. I didn’t ask whether the sink hinged upwards like you often see in a pub’s par, or whether the user was intended to vault over the washing up to enjoy the flow through to the garden, and
    2) Posts like yours that suggest that architects are not in the mindset of educating and helping the naive homeowner who has an idea, but would rather pour judgement and scorn on them. When, like me or the OP, you don’t have expertise you are throwing yourself on the mercy of a trained profession. If you get the feeling you are being treated with contempt, why would you then trust the advice you receive?

  • Seb Exp

    Yes bloody architects !.. not to worry mate , it so happens that there is another profession that will be able to give building regulation and technical expertise on construction ….the local butcher should be able to sort you out …you could get your pilot to drive you there

  • David Whyte

    My experience of Architects, in fact most people involved in the industry is a total and utter failure to communicate. So may I suggest that during their 7 years of training and living like paupers (which is utter tosh by the way), set a little time aside to develop communication skills.

    Communication Skills Test
    Lesson number 1: When informing your client that you will telephone them “next Tuesday at 9:00 am” , Do You: (please select one)

    A: Write a letter at 9:00 am
    B: What’s a telephone?
    C: Telephone Client at 9:00 am on Tuesday as advised
    D: Do nothing

    Note . Those who answered A,B or D have a lot of former clients

  • Stella L

    My experience with architects:

    1. They said “Send your drawings and we’ll take a look at them and call you back tomorrow”. One week later and after some phone calls chasing them, they finally replied (So I totally agree with what David Whyte wrote).

    2. They come up with wonderful ideas that do not match any of my needs (and usually include many unnecessary building costs). No listening skills whatsoever!

    3. They think they are the only ones who understand building works/drawings, technical issues and how to do the calculations. They forget that there are engineers, surveyors and architectural consultants who also have the same knowledge.

    4. Find some old project they have already done for another client and similar house and try to pass it on to you (kind of like number 2 above).

    5. charge much more for the same service that can be provided by others

    If to build your dream house is going to be tricky structurally, better to get an engineer.

    If you know exactly what you want, has seen similar layouts working well in some of your neighbours’ houses and would rather use your money to build and decorate your house, then architectural consultants/technicians can meet your needs just fine.

    Architects are only really useful when you, the owner of the property, have no idea what to do, have loads of space and money to pay their fees and the costs involved in building their wonderful, innovative and creative ideas.

    About the problem with the teeth and avoiding dentists and their fees mentioned by Jack Mcnaney, you really don’t need to pay a dentist if all you need can be done by a dental hygienist!

  • Post a comment
    You must be logged in to comment. Log in