DIY Housebuilders Scheme deadline to be extended from three to six months

Happy interior designer and manual worker cooperating while analyzing housing plans during home renovation process.
The DIY Housebuilders Scheme is set to be extended from 3 to 6 months from the 5th December 2023 (Image credit: Getty Images)

The DIY Housebuilders Scheme is a government programme that allows individuals who are building their own homes or converting non-residential buildings into homes to reclaim VAT on eligible building materials.

This can help those renovating or building a house recoup vital funds that they were not required to pay VAT on as long as they make their claim in time and their project qualifies.

Swipe to scroll horizontally
What goods can you claim VAT on?
Good that can't be claimed onGood that can be claimed on
Agas or range cookers, unless they are solid fuel, oil-fired or designed to heat space or waterAir conditioning
Free-standing and integrated appliances such as: cookers, fridges, freezers, dishwashers, microwaves, washing machines, dryers, coffee machinesBathroom accessories, such as fixed towel rails, toilet roll holders or soap dishes
Audio equipment (including remote controls), built-in speakers, intelligent lighting systems, satellite boxes, freeview boxes, CCTV, telephonesBuilding materials that make up the fabric of the property (for example, bricks, cement, tiles or timber)
Consumables (for example, sandpaper, white spirit) Burglar and fire alarms
Electrical components for garage doors and gatesCurtain poles and rails
Garden furniture and ornaments and shedsDust extractors and filters
Bedroom and bathroom furnitureFireplaces and surrounds
Curtains, blinds and carpetsFitted kitchen furniture as well as kitchen sinks, work surfaces and fitted cupboards
Row 9 - Cell 0 Flooring materials (other than carpets and carpet tiles)
Row 10 - Cell 0 Heating systems including radiators and controls, underfloor heating, ducted warm-air systems, storage heaters and other wired-in heating appliances, gas fires, boilers, immersion heaters and solar-powered heating
Row 11 - Cell 0 Plumbing materials, including electric showers and 'in line' water softeners
Joseph Mullane
News Editor

News Editor Joseph has previously written for Today’s Media and Chambers & Partners, focusing on news for conveyancers and industry professionals.  Joseph has just started his own self build project, building his own home on his family’s farm with planning permission for a timber frame, three-bedroom house in a one-acre field. The foundation work has already begun and he hopes to have the home built in the next year. Prior to this he renovated his family's home as well as doing several DIY projects, including installing a shower, building sheds, and livestock fences and shelters for the farm’s animals. Outside of homebuilding, Joseph loves rugby and has written for Rugby World, the world’s largest rugby magazine.