When building your own home where there was no previous dwelling, you’ll need to establish your new address. But where do you start?

The act of naming or numbering a new home is a formal process that involves filling out an application form and paying a fee to your local authority.

Once done, the address is not only sent to statutory bodies, like the Post Office and utility companies, but also to the emergency services.

(MORE: How to build your own home)

Local Authority Guidelines for Registering a New Home

House names

When it comes to names, you can apply for anything, but it may not be accepted. Local authorities have guidelines which prevent duplication along a road, as well as inappropriate names being used. 

House numbers

Logic plays a great part in what is acceptable here:

  • If you’ve developed on a garden plot between 14 Station Road and 15 Station Road you can expect the local authority to want your new home to be addressed as 14A Station Road
  • If you are the last home on the road and you’ve built next to 42 Station Road, then 43 might be a safe bet or 44 if the odd numbers are on the other side of the street

Can I Have a House Name Without a Number?

Yes. But in the two examples above, it would probably only be acceptable as an addition to the number. So, for example, you could have Dunrovin, 14A Station Road.

Having just a name along a road where every other name is numbered rather than just named may not be acceptable. 

When Should I Apply for my House Name or Number?

It pays to apply fairly quickly because it can avoid some confusion later with other elements of the completion process, including:

  • The Gas Safe registration of your boiler
  • Your Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
  • Your Building Regulations application.

It also helps if you have your house name and/or number printed on your Completion Certificate. One day, when the home is sold, having ‘land adjacent to X’ printed on it instead of the address isn’t going to help with a future conveyance.

Our Sponsors