Hi all,

We are looking at splitting up our land and building a new home on the land. This will allow us to drastically reduce our mortgage as well as build a house to our needs and specification.

I have been in contact with our local planning department regarding possibility to build and they seem to think it is possible. I have had some plans drawn up by a friend and am now at the stage of where to go now.

I know I need to contact my mortgage company to ask their permission to have the land split up. Should I do this before I apply for planning permission, or apply for planning permission and when/if it comes through speak to the bank (think I may have answered my own question there!!).

Second question, I have a friend who is a builder and was planning on using him, however, I have seen these frame kits, are the better than brick???

Thanks in advance,


  • Mark Brinkley

    Both planning permission and remortgaging are significant hurdles to be crossed. You need both. I don’t think it matters which order you approach them in, but note that obtaining planning permission involves significant costs, so you might be best advised to sort out the mortgage first.

    As for whether your builder is better than a timber frame kit…..it’s just impossible to say. Each system has pros and cons. Bear in mind that just because a house is built largely in kit form, it doesn’t follow that the builder is dispensed with, so it could be that you end up hiring your friend to build a kit house.

  • Neil White

    Thanks mark. Somebody else has said I need to instruct a solicitor to deal with splitting of the land. Not the mortgage company, is this true?

  • Rebecca Clutton

    Hi Neil. We’re going through a similar process but buying some land off a friend. You will need to get permission from your mortgage company to split the land but it will have to be done by solicitors as you will need to "split" the land registry title. I don’t know where you live so legal fees will differ. We live in Shropshire and it’s costing us around £1k in legal fees. So far as your build question goes, it’s a tricky one and totally down to personal preference and costs. We’re going down the SIP route, mainly for speed and efficiency purposes. Good luck

  • Neil White

    Thanks, I’ve just found out the same. However, the land is separated at time of sale.

  • Brenda Hollyoak

    I am looking to build a small dwelling in my garden and there are 2 points that I’d like some advice upon.

    1. My property has a covenant upon it which says only one dwelling on the land and no house extensions, so I am looking to split the "split" the land registry title. Cost from a firm in Telford are coming out at £750 + VAT which seem reasonable. There is of course the problem of trying to find the trustees to the covenant to tell them what is going on, but previous attempts to find them have come up blank – a problem shared by the 36 other houses in the road (who have all extended their houses!). Has anyone any idea of how much an indemnity is likely to cost?
    2. The land that I would like to build upon is the end of my garden with a footprint of 144m2 with room for parking a car. I think that I might get a single storey through planning without too much problem but what I really want, and am after advice upon is that I would like to have the living and kitchen area above ground, with 2 bedrooms and bathroom underground (sun pipes) with the whole thing as an eco build with an energy saving infrastructure. My question is where would I find an architect with such an approach, prepared to take on an underground design, and with knowledge of B’ham Planning. A tall order I know but I really don’t know where to start and what questions to ask. Any advice would be gratefully received.

  • Post a comment
    You must be logged in to comment. Log in