I want to build a house and I want to build it up against the village settlement boundary line. The land 335 square meters was formerly the side garfen of an existing house. This (building plot) is sold with a plot of agricultural land at the rear. The rear boundary line of the plot is the village settlement boundary line and the other side of that line if the agricultural land.

1. What are the rules, is there any rule that says that a house cannot be built up against the village settlement boundary line?

2. Do I need a Planning Consultant? I presume the Planning Officer will be fair and unbiased? I presume he will grant me (give into my requests for) anything I am entitled to? Will he be more likely to / why would he be more likely to give a Planning Consultant what I want rather than me, the applicant?
3. If I am more likely to get what I want by paying a Planning Consultant would I be more likely to get that by employing a local Planning Consultant (someone the Planning Officer knows)? How do I assess which Planning Consultant is better qualified / more likely to get the best for me out of the Planning Officer?


  • Anonymous

    Hi Michael


    1. Nothing in planning law that would stop you building up against the settlement boundary. And, indeed, many people build beyond – the boundary is policy, but exemptions are often made (this is of course how developments get built on so-called greenfield sites).

    2. In my opinion a planning consultant is well worthy of involvement in any case that isn’t straightforward. They will be able to unlock potential that the amateur planning expert (and I include architects in this!) simply won’t – they are often ex-local authority planning officers and have an understanding of the political process of planning. Likely costs are in the £3-5,000 range (depending on the complexity of the case – could be less, could be more) but I would strongly advise talking to a couple of local ones first. Local developers use them all the time and you, as a self-builder, should take on this mindset.

    Top tip for finding a good planning consultant – scour your local authority’s website for details of recent planning applications and particularly those gained in the face of objections. New build schemes elsewhere in the area are usually a good starting point.

    Hope that helps.

  • Post a comment
    You must be logged in to comment. Log in