An expert guide to building regulations drawings

man measuring small model of house on set of architectural drawings
building regulations drawings involve detailed calculations and measurements (Image credit: Kaniz Photo/Getty Images)

Although most of us are aware of the need for drawings at the planning applications stage, getting detailed construction drawings for the purpose of building regulations approval can be a bit of a grey area.  

However, ignore the level of detail required and you can risk problems further down the line. Expert, Ian Rock, drills down into the detail of exactly what's needed for building regulations drawings.

Ian Rock

Chartered surveyor Ian Rock MRICS is a director is and the author of eight popular Haynes House Manuals, including the Home Extension Manual, the Self Build Manual and Period Property Manual.

Ian is also the founder of Zennor Consultants. In addition to providing house surveys, Zennor Consultants provide professional guidance on property refurbishment and maintenance as well as advising on the design and construction of home extensions and loft conversions, including planning and Building Regulations compliance.

Ian has recently added a 100m2 extension to his home; he designed and project managed the build and completed much of the interior fit-out on a DIY basis.