Planning feud results in homeowner destroying neighbour's wall with a hammer while they are on holiday

An outside front adjoining wall that has been partially torn down
Keith Stopford allegedly took a hammer to his neighbour's wall whilst they were on holiday as he claimed it was dangerous (Image credit: Google Earth)

A man has been charged with causing criminal damage to his neighbour's wall after it was reported he attempted to destroy the wall with a hammer.

Keith Stopford, 57, from Costessey, Norfolk, has been taken to court after he was reported to the police for allegedly taking a hammer to his neighbour's wall while his neighbour was on holiday.

The wall was part of a ongoing planning battle as the neighbours built the wall without planning permission, but Mr Stopford believed the wall was dangerous to his family, dog and the wider community.

Police called after reports of wall being damaged

The row erupted after the wall was built without planning permission, which then escalated into a criminal damage case.

The 1.5m high wall was built without permission by Mr Stopford's neighbours Flaviano Taaca and Rosalyn Taaca, before they eventually submitted a retrospective planning application that was approved by South Norfolk District Council last year.

Police were then called to the property after being told Mr Stopford was destroying the wall using a hammer whilst his neighbours were on holiday.

Why did he attempt to knock the wall down?

A workman holding a wooden handled hammer with DIY gloves on

Mr Stopford was reported to the police for knocking his neighbour's wall down with a hammer (Image credit: Getty Images)

Mr Stopford claims the wall "posed a danger" to his family and his dog, which is why he decided to attempt to knock it down.

The court heard that there was a disagreement over the wall being built and that there was never an agreement between the neighbours over the construction of the wall. 

Mr Stopford also claims the wall was built while he was on holiday. He commented on the planning application: "I came back off holiday in July 2022 to find a massive brick wall built all the way next to my drive and partly over my land. 

"The planning application says it's for a proposal to build a new fence, when in fact it's a wall that has already been built without any planning permission. It's not just the planning proposal description that is misleading, the plans are all incorrect and the wall is over 1.5 metres high, not the 1.2 metres shown on the plans. Apart from this huge wall being dangerous, it really is completely out of character. 

"I can't reverse or drive out of my drive safely as there is no visibility and this could be very dangerous for small children, pets and other pedestrians. In spite of pointing this out to the applicant, they have done nothing about it."

The wall prompted complaints from other neighbours, one of whom, a Mr Lee Hook, commented on the planning application: "I saw them building the wall, and noticed that the footings of the wall were not within the current regulations. 

"I noticed that the wall does not follow their boundary either, it is encroaching onto a neighbour's driveway. The wall also looks out of character and the workmanship is poor. I feel sorry for [Mr Stopford], because it is blocking the view of the road, making it dangerous when exiting their drive. We have many dog walkers and children playing around this area."

Charged with causing criminal damage

Mr Stopford has subsequently been charged with causing criminal damage and was given unconditional bail pending a trial on October 18.

He pleaded not guilty at Norwich Magistrates' Court as his representative, Julie Adams, argued he had a "lawful excuse" to tear down the wall as it was poorly constructed.

Mr Stopford was approached for comment outside his home by reporters where he stated: "I don't want to say anything until I've checked with my solicitor as it has gone to court now.

"I also had some nasty comments left about me from local news and I don't want to make anything worse."

Joseph Mullane
News Editor

News Editor Joseph has previously written for Today’s Media and Chambers & Partners, focusing on news for conveyancers and industry professionals.  Joseph has just started his own self build project, building his own home on his family’s farm with planning permission for a timber frame, three-bedroom house in a one-acre field. The foundation work has already begun and he hopes to have the home built in the next year. Prior to this he renovated his family's home as well as doing several DIY projects, including installing a shower, building sheds, and livestock fences and shelters for the farm’s animals. Outside of homebuilding, Joseph loves rugby and has written for Rugby World, the world’s largest rugby magazine.