If you’ve decided you no longer wish to receive push notifications on your web browser, its relatively simple to turn them. But the method of unsubscribing will depend on your browser (be it Safari, Chrome or Firefox) and platform (whether it’s Windows, Mac or Android).
Follow the instructions below to turn off web notifications.
Turn Off Notifications in Safari
If you tend to use Safari as your search engine, it shouldn’t take more than a minute or two to turn off push notifications.
- Open Safari
- In the top left hand corner of the screen, you should see the word ‘Safari,’ click this. Then select ‘Preferences’ from the list of options
- Then, choose ‘Websites’ from the icons at the top of the window that has just opened
- Select ‘Notifications,’ from the list on the left hand side
- Identify the websites you’d like to stop receiving notifications from and change the option from ‘allow’ to ‘deny’
Turn Off Notifications in Google Chrome
While the process should be fairly simple whether you’re working from an Apple Mac, Windows PC or Android phone, the process may look a little different from device-to-device.
The first step for every platform is to open up Google Chrome on whatever device you’re getting the notifications through to.
- Open Chrome
- Select ‘Settings’
- Navigate to ‘Privacy’
- Scroll to ‘Notifications’
- Choose the websites you want notifications from
Turn Notifications Off in Firefox
Find step-by-step instructions for unsubscribing in Firefox, below:
- Open Firefox
- Enter about:preferences#privacy into the URL box
- Scroll down to ‘Permissions’
- Select ‘Notifications’
- Navigate to the ‘Settings’ option
- Here, you will be met with a list of websites that you currently allow to send you notifications. Locate the website you’d like to unsubscribe from
- You’ll notice that its status is ‘Allow’. Click this and change the status to ‘Block’
- Make sure you hit ‘Save Changes’ at the bottom of the page
Turn Off Web Notifications on Android Devices
Here’s how to turn them off if you’ve decided they no longer serve you:
- Tap the web notification as seen as you see it in your notification tray
- This should open up a ‘Site Settings’ option. Click this
- Choose ‘Clear and Reset’
- Confirm your reset
Turn Off Web Notifications on an iPhone or iPad
Currently, there is not an option to receive web notifications directly to your iPhone or iPad.
Get the latest news, reviews and product advice straight to your inbox.
Thank you for signing up to Homebuilding. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.