Hi, I have a renovation project on a solid walled detached property. It’s in a conservation area so any work has to be done internally.

It’s basically a shell now so best time to do any disruptive work.

I was planning on having insulated plasterboard installed on battons against the external walls. However, I read a Guardian article recently that said the figures quoted as possible savings on Green Deal/EPC sheets (Loft insulation, new boiler etc) have been greatly exaggerated compared to actual tests.

With the possible problems caused with insulating solid walls – damp, condensation etc, is it just worth foregoing the insulation and just using normal plasterboard with an air gap from the battons?

Getting very confused….

Any help appreciated.


  • Rachel Haynes

    Hi, we would always insulate.

    There does seem to be a suspicion that the insulation values quoted by insulation companies are not wholly inaccurate, but much of this could be the difference between the "perfect" laboratory tests that are used to get the figures and the realities of a building site installation.

    However, any insulation added will always help your heating bills and the environment. It is important that you involve some professional advice when choosing the insulation to ensure that you are not going to create a condensation problem. This is easy to do though and free. All of the main insulation manufacturers (Kingspan, Celotex, Knauf etc etc etc) will have technical departments who will be able to advise on the wall construction, insulation depth and finish to give you the desired thermal improvement without risk of condensation. For example, on what property we fixed new studs in front of the solid walls, fitted insulation between the studs and lined this with ply and plasterboard. (The ply helps you to fix picture and coat hooks, kitchen cabinets etc in the future rather than rely on a fixing just into plasterboard).

    If you are carrying out the work to more than 25% of the external walls of the house we would advise you involve the local building control as the work may fall under building regulations (Approved Document L) and they will advise you what thermal performance you should attain.

    Hope this is of use.

  • Richard Bracek

    Hi Rachel, Thank you for the quick reply.

    It’s reassuring to hear that it’s not just a case that insulation = condensation. I’ll contact one of the manufacturers and ask their advice, we have had some Kingspan installed already in sections so I know our builder likes those. I have an architect doing the building regs as we have an extension in the works too.

    Thanks again.

  • Post a comment
    You must be logged in to comment. Log in