Being a retired Electrical Technician and site supervisor the project I am about to commence needs the assistance of a Part P Electrican ( That is the law I am told)
However when I put my wiring systems to a variety of electricians they are dumbfounded.

I require the wiring systems to be in PVC conduit and every room system accessible.

By that I mean each room to have its own lighting and power circuits. A very easy system to install with a little pre thought.
I want the conduits to run in the walls and behind the coving with measured and documents access point ( If required in the future) and the wiring to be tri rated singles to allow for extra current with smaller individual rcbo,s.

why an I getting negative vibes from local electricians.
Most say It cannot be done
How did they think we tubed and wired houses in the early 1960,s.

Have you any comments

  • Tony Taylor


    It sounds like you are looking for a commercial type installation in a dwelling. You will need to have your re-wiring carried out by an electrician registered onto one of the Part P certification schemes, as this is generally easier and more cost effective than going through the building control notification route.

    With that in mind, most domestic electricians will be used to installing PVC twin and earth (6242Y or 6243Y) cable with plastic or metal sheathing covering the drops to light switches and sockets etc. they will not be familiar with conduit and singles other than for external lighting.

    You could approach an industrial or commercial electrical engineering company, although they are likely to be more costly than a domestic installer.

    Is there any reason why you would like a conduit and singles installation? The life span of twin and earth is similar to singles in conduit, the only benefit would be the ability to add to or modify one of the circuits in the future, although with careful planning at an early stage, this should be minimal.

    The provision of separate power and lighting circuits for each room would be ideal to limit the effects of nuisance tripping on other areas of the house, however it will use a lot of cable and a much larger consumer unit (Fuse board) than is normally required or available.

    Furthermore, the requirement for tri-rated cables would require the electrician to carry out cable calculations for each run of cable, rather than applying the tried and tested rules they use for every other property, 1.5mm2 for lighting, 2.5mm2 for ring mains etc.

    I think you would be better to specify (sockets, switches etc.) what you require for each room, perhaps on a drawing, and get 3 or more local electricians (preferably from recommendation) to provide you with a fixed quote for the work, it is then up to them to ensure the installation is fully compliant with the current wiring regulations and you will have peace of mind knowing your electrical system, provided it is adequately maintained, will be safe and reliable to use for the next 25-30 years.

    It is important for you to receive a Part P electrical test certificate when the work is complete, this may not be available as soon as the work is finished, but should be with you soon after.

    Let me know if you need any further information.

    WR3 Design

  • Robert Johnstone

    thank you for this information. I will take it on board

  • Post a comment
    You must be logged in to comment. Log in