I am wanting to replace a window with French Doors, can I do this without Planning Permission. We are not listed or in a conservation area or have any close neighbours. As the doors will be wider I suspect we need building regs but do we need to put a Planning application in? Your advice would be appreciated.

  • Andrew Kennedy

    The doors are about 3 times the size of the window!

  • Adam


    I don’t think you need planning permission to change the window to French doors. Had you been listed or in a conservation area where retention of character and streets scene is tightly controlled then perhaps you might.

    The building regulations do apply for the installation of new windows and doors even if it s a like for like straight swap. You can avoid making an application for building regs approval by using a FENSA registered installer as they are qualified to undertake this work and guarantee its conformity to current regulations.

    As for opening up the wall to accommodate the doors you will need to make a building regulations application. They will want to see that a structural engineer or other suitably qualified individual has correctly specified the lintel or steel for use over the new opening.

    Making an application is very straightforward. The best advice I can give you is to call your local councils building regs department and speak to one of the duty officers there. They are usually a friendly bunch and will give you all the relevant information over the phone there and then. The conversation wont last more than 5 minutes and you will get everything you need from the horses mouth.

    Good luck!

  • Post a comment
    You must be logged in to comment. Log in