My porch/shed is currently wood clad. I want to reclad with UPVC and upgrade the insulation. Do I need planning or building regs?

  • Sophia Jones

    First, you need to plan what are the things you need to do and what will be the requirements then further proceed.

  • Lindsey Davis

    Hi Sandy,

    Firstly, what do you mean by porch/shed?

    Generally you can clad your home under Permitted Development rights. That is unless you are in a Conservation Area or similar designated area, or live in a listed building.

    Some changes to the front of a property also need to be addressed by the local planning department, but this is usually if they are within a certain distance of the highway (2m for a porch and a porch can’t be larger than 3sqm external ground area).

    Upgrading the insulation is encouraged and you shouldn’t need permission for this.

    To find out more about what you can do without planning permission go here:


  • Post a comment
    You must be logged in to comment. Log in