I have an old cottage within my boundary. It was abandoned many years ago although clearly has evidence of occupation as a dwelling. It has electrical fittings, staircase and fireplace. It also has period wall paper to wooden beams. My property lies just outside the settlement boundary and is therefore in the countryside. I approached my planning authority to re-establish the cottage as an ancillary dwelling to the main house. Although the visiting planner appeared positive to my proposal, I received confirmation by letter that the cottage can only continue be used as a store and change of use is unlikely to be granted. What strategy would you suggest to persuade the planning authority to grant permission for either an ancillary dwelling or holiday cottage. The cottage dates back to the 17th century. Would it help if the cottage was listed. I am resident in South Wales if this makes any difference.

  • Post a comment
    You must be logged in to comment. Log in