I have just found out that our architectural technician has gone out of business. He was a one man show and I am unable to contact him in any way.

He has completed all of the drawings and we have planning permission and building regs approved drawings. We are currently in the process of securing a party wall agreement using an agreed surveyor. The surveyor has asked for one additional drawing that shows a detailed cross section of the party wall.

Now that my architect has gone bust, what can I do to get this drawing? Is this something another architect could pick up for us? It should have included in the original price so it is a bit frustrating to have pay someone else.

Any advice would be really appreciated.


  • Lindsey Davis


    CIAT may be able to help if the person in question is a CIAT member. Please call 020 3286 2201 and ask to speak to the Practice Department.

    If the person who has gone out of business is not a CIAT member, there is not much that can be done other than to contact Trading Standards.

    I hope this helps,

  • Stephen Margerison

    Hi, If I were you, simply explain this to your surveyor, I am sure he can sort it out !
    however a bigger problem might be lurking. Are you borrowing money to build with ? if so the lender may well require you to provide an architects certificate at the end, they may well (as they did with me !!!) withdraw the loan, until such times as you find another architect. so if that’s the case, DO NOT start work, until you appoint someone else, as the second architect will not know what has gone on in the foundations. You can get someone to take it up, but BEFORE work starts, don’t forget that you are also buying insurance, (architects indemnity) so don’t be put off, just "get your head into it " don’t bother chasing someone who has gone bust !! go have a friendly chat with your building inspector ! he may know someone.
    regards SKM

  • Post a comment
    You must be logged in to comment. Log in