We want to change our current heating/hot water boiler which is an oil fired Stanley cooker/boiler linked to a Nu-heat underfloor heating system.

It is about 10 years old now, and our utilitity costs for the house are high. We have been reading about different products on the market, but we don’t know which one/s would be most suitable for our house (gas is not an option). Can anyone help?

Is there an independent company that we could go to who would carryout an assessment and give us some recommendations?

We are also going to be adding on a sun room to the house that we want to use all year round, so choosing the right product/s is important.

We are located at Loch Lomond (45mins from Glasgow).

Many thanks, Alison & Craig

  • Tony Taylor


    It sounds as though you will need the services of a building services design consultant or similar. They should be able to run through the make up of the existing building, the services currently installed, any issues you may have and will then be able to suggest some options.

    Go to the Chartered Institute of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE) website to find a company in your area;


    Some of the ideas produced may well include things not currently on your radar, like insulation and air tightness of the existing building and proposed sun room.

    We carry out this type of work in my office, it is labelled as an ‘Heating options report’ and should give you a clear understanding of your options, all referenced against a base solution, which would be an oil fired boiler with UFH in your case.

    Most building services consultants do not supply any products, which results in you getting impartial honest advice on the best way forward.

    If you are looking for Green technology, solar thermal, ground source heat pumps etc. Post back here details of the equipment you have looked at and would consider, I will then give you some further details on that particular technology.

    As a further note, I am currently in the process of setting up a new site to provide free advice and information to home owners, developers, architects and anyone with an interest in energy efficient technology systems, as I think there is a definite need for this service.

    Come and check us out in a while at http://www.smartgreenengineer.co.uk

    Hope this information helps.


  • Alison Muir

    Thanks Tony, I appreciate your reply, I’ll follow up with the CIBSE as suggested.

    Good luck with your website – there is definitely a need – I’m a prime example!

    Regards Alison

  • Dominic Eves

    Hi there Alison and Craig,

    A reputable heating engineer should also be able to point you in the right direction.

    How well insulated is your home? As that will also be key in deciding the route you go down.


  • Post a comment
    You must be logged in to comment. Log in