I am new to this community board. So thank you for taking your time in reading my question.

My parents live in a bungalow constructed in 1928 in a small moorland village. It is of brick and tile, but from what I recall of the renovation all the floors throughout are wooden planks that are raised above the bare ground. Their kitchen floor has chipboard placed ontop of concrete which sits directly on the earth.
Over the last few years the smell and presence of damp has got worse. Any cupboards or units put against the walls show signs of black mould behind them. The kitchen particularly has a strong damp smell and if anything such as bread is kept in the cupboards it smells of damp too. Slugs have been known to find their way in! My parents are elderly and in their 70’s & 80’s and although still able to do maintenance jobs are reluctant to take on anything of a huge financial commitment in terms of changing the property structure and i think the upheaval as well for them is off putting. But as their daughter i am very concerned about how this damp problem is now a daily issue and my mum suffers with joint problems. I worry about their health and that my mother is at her wits end of storing items especially in the garage and out houses and they turn mouldy. Equally you can’t leave anything on the floors as they get damp quickly. Such as cardboard boxes, clothes etc. Everything just has an overwhelming smell of musty damp.
Is there a solution that could help them?

Any advice is much appreciated.


  • Stephen Williams

    It seems to me you have a condensation problem. Really you need to have the problem diagnosed correctly by an expert in this field. A good start would to be Sovereign Chemicals Limited 01229 870800 ask for the technical department, they are not contractors they are manufacturers, who will arrange for a Sovereign Contractor to call if you want. If you are in the Northwest you could call me direct 07812061925 for a free diagnostic survey. We do not employ salesmen and understand the need for discretion. Condensation can normally be controlled for around £1000.00 plus vat.

  • Post a comment
    You must be logged in to comment. Log in