Does My Project Need Building Regulations Approval?

Yes, if it’s a new home or involves almost any new building work (such as a new wall), or structural alterations, such as a loft conversion. Projects that are exempt from Building Regulations include: porches (subject to the porch not exceed 30m²); car ports (subject to them being open on two sides and, again, less then 30m²); conservatories (subject to them having a floor area of less than 30m², have at least 75% of the roof and 50% of the walls glazed with a translucent material; and maintain the existing walls, windows and doors that separate it from the main house, with no new additional openings created); most detached sheds and greenhouses (under 15m² floor area, or under 30m² and at least 1m away from the house).

So in general, if it’s structural work, it needs approval. If in doubt, check with your local authority website, or give their building control department a call.

What Are the Building Regulations?

The Regulations are very in-depth, and can be read in full on the Communities and Local Government website (, but in brief, your project will have to comply with the following documents. They are recognised by lettered Parts.

Part A – Structure
Part B – Fire Safety
Part C – Contamination and damp
Part D – Toxicity
Part E – Sound
Part F – Ventilation
Part G – Hygiene
Part H – Drainage
Part J – Fuel
Part K – On-site Safety
Part L – Conservation of Fuel and Power
Part M – Access
Part N – Glazing
Part P – Electrics

The Building Regulations are profiled in Approved Documents, which are updated fairly regularly. New ‘Parts’ are published periodically – for instance Part P changed in 2006; Part L was updated again in 2010.

How does this affect you? Well, it means that your designer/builder will need to be aware of the Regulations and any changes therein. Certainly, as a self-builder or renovator, you won’t be expected to have all of these committed to memory.

What is the Building Regulations Process?

You will need initially to select who is going to carry out your Building Regulations inspections and approval. The local council’s Building Control department is the most common arbiter of Building Regulations in the UK, but several private companies (such as NHBC – carry out the same task.

You’ve got two routes to get approval:

The most common route for new homes and major renovations is to submit a Building Regulations application by way of fee, form and detailed plans. These plans will need to show how you are intending to meet the Regulations – e.g. the level of insulation you’re putting in walls, and so on. These plans are then either rejected or approved, and a series of inspections will then take place to ensure the work meets the requirements, after which a completion certificate will be issued.

The second route – common for minor works or those working on a largely DIY basis and without plans – is to work on a Building Notice, whereby you’ll pay a fee and submit a form but the inspector will make an in-depth assessment of work completed so far at various stages. Obviously it’s a more risky process – the Inspector can make you re-do work at any stage – but it does save having to submit plans, and in theory means you can get started right away.

How much will it cost?

For a one-off new home, expect to pay £172.50 to submit a plan and £373.75 for the inspections. Working on Notice will not be any cheaper, at £546 (these fees are subject to change and are based on local authority costs; private companies may charge less or more)

Most renovation/extension work (including loft conversions) costs £110 to submit a plan and £200-400 for an inspection.

What if I needed Building Regulations approval but didn’t get it at the time?

All is not lost. You’ll need to go down a route known as regularisation, where an inspector will come out and inspect the work as best as he can. Because a lot of the work might be covered up, you’ll need to uncover the work requested, and put it right at your own expense. You’ll pay a little over what you would pay for a Building Notice fee.

Key Building Regulations

Part L – Energy Efficiency This is the part of the Building Regulations that is certainly the most active and the one that is at the forefront of the fight against climate change. It specifies minimum requirements for heat loss through walls, roofs and floors (by way of U-values) and as the requirements get more stringent, you’ll need to pump your new building full of more and more insulation.
Part J – Fuel Work on gas appliances must be carried out by an approved tradesman registered with Gas Safe (they have taken over from CORGI). They will self-certify all relevant work and issue you with an individual certificate, in a similar way to the process for Part P.
Part P – Electrics There is much controversy of this element of the Building Regulations, which is not subject to the usual inspection regime – instead, it is self-certified by ‘approved’ contractors. So you’ll need to check your electrician is Part P registered, so that he can issue a certificate. You can, however, do much of the electrical work yourself on a DIY basis and simply get it signed off (inspection) by an approved electrician.
Articles like this Comments
  • Laura Taylor 29 May 2012 at 10:45 am

    "You can, however, do much of the electrical work yourself on a DIY basis and simply get it signed off (inspection) by an approved electrician." – Does this still apply now in 2012?

    Also providing plans to them, do you have to get an architect to do this?

    We are knocking down a timber structure/room that connects our main house to a brick out building (currently the kitchen and bathroom is in this outbuilding) and rebuilding in it’s place a brick extension the same size as the current timber structure… not sure what rules apply here.

  • Samuel Joy 29 May 2012 at 2:16 pm

    Hi Laura,

    The rules regarding Part P are still the same – you can do the work yourself but it must be signed off by a Part P registered electrician or Building Control.

    In terms of the plans, it can be anyone – an architect, designer, main contractor, builder or yourself. Obviously depending on the size of the job and the extent your own knowledge it may not make sense to do the the plans yourself, but this doesn’t mean it would have to be an architect.

    Hope this helps

    Sam Joy (Online Editor)

  • christine cooney 14 May 2013 at 8:09 pm

    My plumber and gas boiler installer seems to have disappeared without giving my cert for building regs on my new build I paid him 6000.What can I do? Can I get someone else to give a gas safe cert so I get signed off. Thank you Christine.

  • Samuel Joy 15 May 2013 at 9:36 am

    Hi Christine,

    I’ve reposted your question in the Q&A area of the site, as I believe you are more likely to receive a response to it there. The link is

    Kind regards,
    Sam (Online Editor)

  • Oliver Hall 26 Oct 2013 at 10:23 pm

    When do the building regulations apply: At the beginning of the project when you submit the application, or once the build is complete. If it is at the beginning, how long does this application apply for? This question relates to the new regulations kicking off in 2016 which will have a major baring on my budget.

  • Neil Clarke 30 Dec 2013 at 1:20 pm

    We have owned an 1840s terraced house since 1993, which we know has been uninhabited since c1970, & now want to renovate it in 2014.
    We know we need building regs for gas installation (boiler, cooker & fires), heating (if we decide to use the open fires or install stoves), & re-wiring.
    We need to replaster all the walls & ceilings & replace some floorboards, & propose to insulate the outside walls & between floors & ceilings at the same time.
    The attic bedroom still has the original staircase with banisters but needs the roof & wall insulation increasing & Velux windows fitting.
    The original wc was outside & a bath is installed in the cellar kitchen so we need to add bathroom(s) upstairs.
    While we intend to employ certified tradesmen for gas, heating & electrics, we hope to do the rest of the work ourselves with family help, (hopefully following Building Regs), as we are on a very small budget & would be doing the work as & when we have spare cash.
    Do we need to inform the Council’s Building Control Department & have them inspect any work at all if the registered tradesmen will certify their own work, & our D.I.Y. work is just repairing & redecorating plus plumbing & adding a few partition walls for bathrooms?
    I would be grateful for any advice, please.

  • V Guzina 1 Aug 2014 at 11:52 pm

    Neil Clarke, would love to hear from you to find out how you are getting on as we are in the very similar position ourselves.
    Kind Regards

  • Lindsey Davis 4 Aug 2014 at 8:21 am

    For general refurbishment and remodelling you don’t need to contact building control.
    However, if you are altering the attic and turning it into habitable space (for use as an office, bedroom or living area) then you will need building control to sign off the work to ensure you have the correct fire safety measures in place.

    You need to have an enclosed ‘fire-proof’ escape route from the loft to an external ground floor door, or in some cases, a first floor means of escape window will be allowed.

    Here is a helpful piece on fire safety


  • katrina krol-mekarska 14 Oct 2014 at 6:41 pm

    We’ve just bought a property (mid-terraced house) and we are planning to do loft conversion, however we would like to do it properly… By signing it off, we want it to be counted as a third bedroom. etc. do you know what is the cost? (Obviously excluding labour and building materials etc)

  • Lindsey Davis 15 Oct 2014 at 8:21 am

    Hello Katrina,

    Cost can be very variable and it is dependent upon what needs doing. If you have an adequate landing to put stairs up from then you will be looking at costs for a staircase, insulation, 18mm-thick flooring chipboard, roof lights and electrics at least.

    Then there are extras to make sure you comply with building regulations in relation to fire safety such as fire doors and possible additions to your fire alarm system. Without doing this, you won’t be able to count it as a third bedroom.

    Here is a beginners guide to loft extensions. It tells you pretty much everything you need to know
    There is also a costs PDF at the end but be aware that this is 5 years old and costs will have risen due to inflation.

    Done on a DIY basis – with no remodelling of first floor space needed – then you should be able to do it for around £5k materials only (I’m basing that on something approximately the size of a two-up-two-down).


  • Daniel Judd 26 Nov 2014 at 11:08 am

    Stansted Environmental Services can assist you in complying with Building Regulations. Services include; SAP Calculations, Air Tightness Testing & Sound Insulation Testing

  • ian ward 15 Apr 2015 at 9:43 pm

    is it possible to change from a council inspector to a private one? We’ve had the council round to do a first inspection and work has been stopped for a week because the inspector (who took over from his holidaying boss and had read none of our paperwork and plans) isn’t able to make clear what he wants from the builder and structural engineer. We don’t know how to proceed, apart from starting all over again.

  • Post a comment
    You must be logged in to comment. Log in

Our Sponsors